A little something for your trouble.

basic_sock_silo.jpg

Here’s the Deal
I made up a little pattern based on the Regia Bamboo socks that I knit this fall. This is what I would like to do: Rather than offering it for free or for profit, I would like to offer it as a thank-you for your donation.

All proceeds will go to Doctors Without Borders to help Yarn Harlot’s effort to double the current Knitters Without Borders contribution level. Once you purchase, email her and tell her that you donated $5.00 and you’ll be entered in all future Knitters Without Borders drawings.

Two Birds with One Stone
Whatever is raised for Doctors Without Borders, I will match the total contributions from now through January 15 at 50% and donate this money to The Red Scarf Project in the form of gift cards or books of stamps to send in with the scarves from the knitalong.

After January 15, I will continue to donate all proceeds from this pattern to these two efforts. I’ll keep a tally in the sidebar.

Donate now!

[Alternatively, you can mail payment and I’ll email a copy to you. Just drop me a line: heatherknitsATgmail.]

Disclaimer:Total price is $5.65. PayPal charges me fees for use, which is what the extra $0.65 is for.

Finishing school

Finishing school
I have had a real bee in my bonnet to finish things this past week. Both the socks below were stalled because I didn’t know how long to make the cuff or toe, which means that I put it down with the best of intentions to return when I have time to concentrate.

This tendency is becoming a disease for me. The UFO pile grows like a pond full of phosporus-fed algae, and suddenly my room has eutrophied.

Finally I started to do something about it – worked through the bamboo sock toe, the Trekking sock heel, unraveled the buttonband side of my Blissful Jacket (bottom of this entry) where I had added a stitch, and reknit the right side of Grandma’s cardigan, which I messed up months ago.

Sock blocking
For any of you who think that you should skip blocking, as I have been known to do for years, [particularly since once I finish that sock, I want to put it right on my foot…] here is a little demonstration for you. Both of these pairs of socks are meant to be gifts, so they should look nice when the recipient opens them, right? Here is what a little blocking can do.

Each of these pairs has only one complete sock – so one is blocked and one is not.

sister socks man socks

bamboo trekking

Grandma’s cardigan
Here is the unblocked cardigan.

Aside from a million ends to be woven in, and learning how to do a grosgrain ribbon-backed button band by hand (no worries, right?), aside from finding the right color and width ribbon and the perfect buttons, aside from a steam block treatment, it’s … er … finished? Well the pieces are together.

shetland cardigan

I am not thrilled with the knitted-on collar for some reason, but maybe it will look better blocked. Any suggestions as to why it looks a little off? I’d rather reknit and have it look right, if that’s the best option.

collar

I am happier with my first set-in sleeve (the Bobble Cardi has not made it out of finishing purgatory/eutrophy – the sleeves were the last remaining task and would have been my first set-in sleeves, before I had to undo all the crochet edging, unsew the collar, undo the 3-needle bindoff at the shoulders, and frog a good bit of the right side. I guess I should learn to read the patterns through, since for some reason I always have problems with the right side… The typical sentence in purgatory is around six months, so I’ll look at it in October after my upcoming travel is over with). I’m rather pleased with the result on that bit.

sleeve

[Also, I am going to apologize in advance for some repeats on anyone’s RSS feed, I may go retag some of my entries this week before my archives get too big.]